Stories are just getting bigger and bigger – What’s new?
News you want to use week 21.
We’re at the cusp of the visual communication era. Stories creation and consumption is up 842 percent since early 2016, according to consulting firm Block Party. Nearly a billion accounts across Snapchat, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Messenger now create and watch these vertical, ephemeral slideshows. If this trends continue is it possible that Stories will outperform the Feed in a not too distant future.
For context, here’s a breakdown of Stories daily user counts and total monthly user counts across the top players, ranked by size:
- WhatsApp Status: 450 million daily out of 1.5 billion monthly as of May 2018
- Instagram Stories: 300 million daily out of 800 million monthly as of November 2017
- Snapchat (whole app): 191 million daily as of May 2018, launched
- Facebook Stories: 150 million daily out of 2.2 billion monthly as of May 2018
- Messenger Day/Stories: 70 million daily out of 1.3 billion monthly as of September 2017
Read more? Approx 3 min